Updated: Apr 8, 2022
Pizza Margherita is considered by many the only "original pizza". It is a classic traditional Italian pizza you will find on every pizzeria's menu.
170 gr pizza dough (Click here for recipe)
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
80 ml Tomato Passata or 300 gr crushed canned plum tomatoes
1 mozzarella cheese (250 gr), torn in to pieces
1 tbs oregano
Few leaves of basil
🍷 Recommended Wine: Pond Paddock Pinot Noir
👩🏻🍳 Cuisine: Italian 🇮🇹
👨👩👧👧 Yield: 4 servings
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
😰 Level: easy
💰 Cost (NZ): $$$$
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C.
2. Roll out the dough into an even layer, place it in an oiled pan.
3. Pour the tomato pulp into a bowl and season with olive oil, oregano, salt pepper.
4. Spread tomato over the pizza dough in an even layer, leaving outer 1 cm rim untopped.
5. Shred the mozzarella and place it in the strainer for a 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the mozzarella.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 250°C.
8. Add a few leaves of basil.
TIP: add a few slices of "prosciutto crudo" (Italian ham) just before serving.